Original Ghostbusters star Ernie Hudson is glad to be involved with the new films, even if they’re going in directions he wouldn’t have chosen
The sequel to Ghostbusters: Afterlife (watch it HERE) is scheduled to reach theatres on Wednesday, December 20, 2023 – and during a recent interview with Screen Rant, original Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II star Ernie Hudson said that, while he is happy to be involved with the new films, they don’t exactly go in the same direction he would have chosen to take the franchise.
Ghostbusters: Afterlife stars Finn Wolfhard and Mckenna Grace are back for the sequel, reprising the roles of Trevor and Phoebe. They’re joined in the cast by Carrie Coon, playing Trevor and Phoebe’s mom Callie; Paul Rudd as his Afterlife character Gary Grooberson; William Atherton as Walter Peck, the antagonistic EPA inspector from the first Ghostbusters film; and new additions Kumail Nanjiani (The Big Sick), Patton Oswalt (The King of Queens), James Acaster (Hypothetical), and Emily Alyn Lind (Doctor Sleep).
As mentioned, Ernie Hudson is also in these new films as Winston Zeddemore, one of the original Ghostbusters. While talking to Screen Rant, Hudson said, “Winston, what this last movie Afterlife did was it gave him a place to be, a purpose. You know, ‘Why is he here?’ Well, he’s the guy who has the money to keep this thing going. So that was good. It wasn’t so much more, because we do have these new characters, we’re introducing new stories, but he has a place and purpose for being there. I think in earlier movies, you establish the friendship between the three guys, they’ve already established a business … and I don’t totally understand all that, but Winston definitely has a place. Now, how much of a place and all of that, that gets decided on by other people. Also, as we introduce new stories, and new characters, that’s what moves the whole thing forward, but we’re still a part of it, so it was great to see Bill Murray, and Danny Aykroyd, Annie Potts, it’s great to see them there, and really just enjoying it and enthusiastic about being there. It’s different, it’s not necessarily the direction I would go in, but I just love being part of it, and I think the fans will like this new direction, but we’ll see.“
Hudson didn’t mention what his own direction would have been.
At first, Afterlife director Jason Reitman was expected to take the helm of the new sequel, once again directing from a screenplay he was writing with Gil Kenan – but then it was revealed that Kenan will actually be directing the new film. He previously directed the animated movie Monster House, the live-action films City of Ember, A Boy Called Christmas, and the remake of Poltergeist, and an episode of the Scream TV series.
When he took the directing job, Kenan said, “It’s an absolute honor to pick up the proton pack and step behind the camera for the next chapter of the Spengler family saga. I just wish I could go back to 1984 and tell the kid in the sixth row of the Mann Valley West that one day he was going to get to direct a Ghostbusters film.“
Reitman added, “A few years ago, my father (Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II director Ivan Reitman) handed me the keys to Ecto-1 and together we made Ghostbusters: Afterlife. Words will never express how grateful I am to have made a film with my father by my side. It’s now time to hand those keys to my creative partner and fellow Ghostbuster Gil Kenan, a brilliant director who will keep the Spengler spirit alive. I can only hope to provide him the same producorial care and support that my father showed me.“
What do you think of the direction Ghostbusters: Afterlife and its follow-up are taking the franchise in? Share your thoughts on Ernie Hudson’s comment by leaving a comment below.
Originally published at https://www.joblo.com/ghostbusters-afterlife-sequel-ernie-hudson/