A roundup of the week’s most newsworthy policy and public interest press releases from PR Newswire, including Kroger and Kellogg’s initiative to fight food insecurity.
NEW YORK, Aug. 11, 2023 /PRNewswire/ — With thousands of press releases published each week, it can be difficult to keep up with everything on PR Newswire. To help journalists covering the policy and public interest industries stay on top of the week’s most newsworthy and popular releases, here’s a roundup of stories from the week that shouldn’t be missed.
The list below includes the headline (with a link to the full text) and an excerpt from each story. Click on the press release headlines to access accompanying multimedia assets that are available for download.
- New Project Will Recover the Names of Up to 10 Million People Enslaved in America Before Emancipation and Locate their Living Descendants
ABC News will serve as the exclusive media partner of 10 Million Names. The year-long, network-wide initiative will feature the findings, research, and work of a collaborative network of genealogists, cultural organizations, and community-based family historians through impactful and informative storytelling and reporting across ABC News programs and platforms.
- Kroger and Kellogg Company Join Forces to Fight Food Insecurity
“With the generosity of brands like Kellogg Company, Kroger is able to partner with Feeding America and local food banks to support hunger-relief programs that are making a difference in the neighborhoods Kroger calls home,” said Jenifer Moore, Corporate Affairs Manager of the Cincinnati-Dayton Division, Kroger.
- Joint Coalition on Housing and Homelessness Solutions Issues Letter to California’s Governor and Legislative Leaders Re: 2024 Ballot Measures
The coalition is urging the state’s Governor, Speaker of the Assembly and President pro tempore of the Senate to work together to bring three proposals on California voters during the 2024 election, including a bond to fund critical affordable housing needs, Governor Newsom’s proposed Mental Health Services Act (MHSA) reform, and an initiative to lower the voter threshold required for local housing bonds.
- L’Oréal Paris Inducts Ten Extraordinary Changemakers into Its Signature Philanthropic Initiative, Women of Worth
“It is with great pride that we welcome 10 more incredible changemakers into the L’Oréal Paris Women of Worth family, now 180 women strong,” said L’Oréal Paris USA President, Ali Goldstein. “By championing female non-profit leaders and their selfless work, we hope to inspire people to tap into their own sense of worth to create positive change.”
- New Study Reveals Current Knowledge & Attitudes Toward Extreme Risk Protection Orders and Provides States with a Playbook to Inform the Public
Though the laws differ by state, ERPOs are temporary civil orders designed to prevent tragedies and protect those who are at a high and imminent risk of using a firearm to harm other people or themselves, without resulting in a criminal record.
- World’s Most Successful Athletic Fundraiser Pan-Mass Challenge Brings Together Thousands of Cyclists to Raise $70 Million for Cancer Research
In 2023, the PMC has a record-breaking goal of raising $70 million for cancer research and patient care at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (Dana-Farber) in Boston, Massachusetts, which, if achieved, will bring the organization’s contributions in the fight against cancer to $970 million since 1980.
- Record Number of Guns Being Confiscated at Airports: U.S. LawShield® Offers Tips on How to Travel Safely with Firearms and Ammunition
“Our mission is to educate the growing number of people who carry firearms on how to travel legally and safely with firearms and ammunition, and thus also prevent the repercussions, including expensive court costs and fines, confiscations of firearms, and other issues,” said Kirk Evans, president of U.S. LawShield.
- Department of Justice Signals Increased Focus on Web Accessibility with Proposed Rule Under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act
The rule will help ensure people with disabilities have equal access to web content and mobile apps by accelerating efforts to close the digital accessibility gap and heightening the need for government agencies to resolve existing barriers through the implementation of mature accessibility technology and strategy.
- Meals on Wheels America and Celebrity Partners Issue Second Annual Social Media Challenge to #RespectYourElders
For too long, America has allowed seniors to fall into the shadows, which can have dire health consequences, but we all have the power to help. That’s why a team of celebrity supporters are sharing heartwarming videos that raise up the stories, smiles and charming personalities of meaningful elders in their lives, and calling on everyone to do the same.
- Thinx Donates 100,000 Pairs of Reusable Period Underwear to Alliance for Period Supplies
The product donation – part of Thinx’s mission to increase access to period products – is intended to help ensure essential and reusable period products are available for everyone, especially as back-to-school season can be concerning for those experiencing period poverty.
- The Paley Center for Media Announces Lineup of Upcoming Events at The Paley Museum
First up this month is a family fun day with Disney Channel’s End of Summer Celebration on Saturday, August 26, and Disney Channel screenings starting Wednesday, August 9, in Paley’s theaters. Football takes center stage Thursday, September 28, at 6:30 pm with an exclusive PaleyLive presentation of Prime-Time Champions: An Evening with NBC Sunday Night Football moderated by NBC News’ TODAY Co-anchor Savannah Guthrie.
Read more of the latest policy-related releases from PR Newswire and stay caught up on the top press releases by following @PRNpolicy and @prnedu on Twitter.
Helping Journalists Stay Up to Date on Industry News
These are just a few of the recent press releases that consumers and the media should know about. To be notified of releases relevant to their coverage area, journalists can set up a custom newsfeed with PR Newswire for Journalists.
Once they’re signed up, reporters, bloggers and freelancers have access to the following free features:
- Customization: Create a customized newsfeed that will deliver relevant news right to your inbox. Customize the newsfeed by keywords, industry, subject, geography, and more.
- Photos and Videos: Thousands of multimedia assets are available to download and include with your next story.
- Subject Matter Experts: Access ProfNet, a database of industry experts to connect with as sources or for quotes in your articles.
- Related Resources: Read and subscribe to our journalist- and blogger-focused blog, Beyond Bylines, for media news roundups, writing tips, upcoming events, and more.
About PR Newswire and PR Newswire for Journalists
For more than 65 years, PR Newswire has been the industry leader with the largest, most comprehensive distribution network of print, radio, magazine, television stations, financial portals and trade publications. PR Newswire has an unparalleled global reach of more than 200,000 publications and 10,000 websites and is available in more than 170 countries and 40 languages.
PR Newswire for Journalists (PRNJ) is an exclusive community that includes over 20,000 journalists, bloggers and influencers who are logging into their PRNJ accounts specifically looking for story ideas. PR Newswire thoroughly researches and vets this community to verify their identity as a member of the press, blogger or influencer. PRNJ users cover more than 200 beats and verticals.
For questions, contact the team at [email protected].
SOURCE PR Newswire
Originally published at https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/this-week-in-policy–public-interest-news-11-stories-you-need-to-see-301898420.html
Images courtesy of https://pixabay.com